Restaurant: Ajisai Japanese Cuisine
Date Visited: January 7, 2011
Location: #6002, 356 Cranston Rd SE
Hours: Weekdays Lunch 11:30am – 2:00pm Weekend Lunch 12:00pm – 2:30pm
Dinner 5:00pm to 9:30pm Mondays Closed
Contact: 403-457-3805 www.myajisai.com
Price Range: $5 to $15
Overall Rating: Rating Scale (1. Yuck, 2. I’m eating it but won’t order again, 3. This is good, 4. This is really good worth recommending, 5. OMG I need to facebook and tweet about this and can’t stop thinking about it)
- Newest addition to the SE Calgary and for the community of Cranston
- Located in the Cranston Sobeys strip mall
- Traditional and Creative Japanese and Sushi cuisine
- Excellent service
- Very nice ambiance and clean
- Lots of free parking
- Another Ajisai Japanese Cuisine located in Panorama at 750 1110 PanatellaBlvd. NW
- There is a third location which is the original location which is Haru Sushi Bar located in Springbank Hill at 30 Springborough Blvd SW
- Coming soon is their fourth location in McKenzie Towne
I have been waiting for Ajisai to open for a couple months now. When I saw the “coming soon” sign hanging in the window my mouth has been salivating in anticipation for the opening. Shane, one of the owners called me the moment they opened and it did not disappoint. The community of Cranston and the South East is now blessed with an excellent Japanese restaurant, how many other neighbourhoods can brag about having a community Sushi place.
Ajisai has taken Japanese to another level and have added excellent creative twists to the flavours that work perfect. Don’t be worried though, they still have kept all the traditional and staple Japanese foods and sushi we all love.
The service is excellent, very attentive and quick. The prices are not the lowest and just a bit more than I would normally see at a Japanese restaurant but it is not outrageous. This will definitely be one of my main restaurants that I will be visiting regularly.
What’s In Front Of Me:
Cheese Tempura: 4.0/5
- Brie Cheese
- Balsamic Sauce
- Deep Fried Basil
- Delicious combination of flavours and a great way to start the meal
Spicy Crunch Tuna Roll: 5/5
- Tuna, Cucumber, Deep Fried Wonton Skin, Spicy Sauce
- Simply Amazing and I’d order this again!
- Spicy Sauce is delicious and the crunch of the wonton skin is the highlight
Sushi Pizza: 4.5/5
- Deep fried rice patty, with a mixture of crab meat and avocado, topped with Salmon and Tuna
- One word, Yummy!
- It’s as good as it looks in the picture
ABURI Scallop Roll: 5/5
- Avocado, Crab mix topped with lightly seared Scallop & Deep Fried Wonton Skin, Spicy sauce, Chili sauce
- This is my favourite roll here at Ajisai
Salmon Nigiri: 4.0/5
- Nice sized cuts of salmon and perfect amount of sushi rice
Creamy Scallop (Gunkan): 4.5/5
- Very good and fresh tasting
ABURI Scallop: 4/5
- First time trying it and I was not disappointed. A lightly seared scallop nigiri.